If you back up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you’ll have a copy of your information to use if your device is ever replaced, lost, or damaged. Backups let you transfer data from your last device to your new one.
Choose a backup method
Before you get started, learn the difference between making backups with iCloud and iTunes. Decide which method is best for you and follow the steps below. In case you ever need an alternative backup, you can make one in iCloud and another in iTunes.
Make a backup using iCloud
- Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
- In iOS 8 or later, tap Settings > iCloud > Backup.
In iOS 7 or earlier, tap Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup.
- Make sure that iCloud Backup is turned on.
- Tap Back Up Now. Stay connected to your Wi-Fi network until the process completes.
- Make sure the backup finished by tapping Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage, and then select your device. The backup you just made should appear in the details with the time and backup size.
Back up automatically in iCloud
After you’ve turned on iCloud Backup, iCloud can automatically back up your device each day. iCloud makes these daily automatic backups only if:
- Your device is connected to a power source.
- Your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- Your device’s screen is locked.
Make a backup using iTunes
- Open iTunes and connect your device to your computer.
- Save content that you downloaded from the iTunes Store or App Store by clicking File > Devices > Transfer Purchases. If you’re using Windows and you don’t see a File menu, press the Alt key.
- Wait for iTunes to finish transferring your purchases. Then, click File > Devices > Back up. If you’re using Windows and you don’t see a File menu, press the Alt key.
- After the process ends, you can see if your backup finished successfully by clicking iTunes Preferences > Devices. You should see the name of your device with the date and time that iTunes created the backup.
Full solution to recover deleted contacts, messages, photos, notes, etc. to iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
iOS Data Recovery is the more comprehensive ios data recovery solution in the market. You can recover lost data directly from iOS devices or retrieve backups from both iTunes and iCloud.
- Recover data from iTunes Backup. Find iTunes backup on PC and scan the backup for your lost data.
- Recover data from iCloud Backup. Download iCloud backup and recover to your iPad, iPhone, iPod.
Fully compatible with iTunes 12.2, iOS 8, and iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus.